Thursday, April 16, 2009

Here comes Poland

Bogna Siegel, from Poland, is 29. A tall, strawberry blonde with a cropped haircut, she opened her door to me wearing elegant black trousers and a red cashmere jersey. Lively eyes welcomed me behind funky specs with black frames. She exudes charisma and charm. A fire was burning in fireplace. Instead of coffee, she offered me freshly squeezed orange juice. We sat on comfortable leather sofas. In the course of our interview, I discovered that the waitress I had come to know in my favourite café is actually a classically trained pianist.

My father is from a very big family. Everybody in his family is a musician. Everybody.

My mum doesn’t know anything about music. She’s a dentist. She is from Warsaw, capital city. So after study, she got a job in a small town, where she met my father. He came to her as a patient, but then he started to fall in love with her, and came back to her more and more often!

All my father’s family is in one place – Grudzi`a. But my parents moved to another big city, called Walbrzych, to follow my mother’s job.

So he was like a black sheep, because now he was separate from all the family, all the cousins doing music, following the line of musical tradition. My older sister likes music but she doesn’t have an ear. I wasn’t the best, but I kept going. And only me, from my generation in the family, finished Academia of Music. The rest of them basically finished six years. So do you have that picture? Black, sheep, moved to another city, and only his daughter completed traditional musical education. He’s very proud of that. It doesn’t matter how good I am. For him, I’m the best! I play piano, like my father. The others also play piano, but some play cello, double bass, drums. My father also plays double bass.

My childhood was all around music. I didn’t want to play at all. But they pushed me and pushed me, and thank God they did, because when you are growing up around music all the time, it changes your thinking, really, about life. You have a different imagination and sensitivity.

Poland used to be a communist country. Which meant we didn’t have much food. We had monthly vouchers, which entitled you to I kg of meat per head per month, or 1 kg of sugar per month. There were huge queues at the back doors of the shops. Someone would see them waiting, for toilet paper or something. So they’d join the queue. And it would grow like that, as neighbours saw others waiting. And it would grow. And it was like Waiting for Godot, or something, for the truck that never came. So after three hours, they’d go home.

I had my first banana when I was seven or eight. My sister had her first orange at the same time. We had to struggle all the time. But it was just natural. I didn’t know any other way. It was just Poland.

My father works part-time. So he also does the cooking, and the shopping. It was always like that. My mother doesn’t know how to cook. She doesn’t like it. And she’s always had more work than he has. But she does the housework. My father now does some work for the government, but mostly he’s home.

What was your typical staple diet?

Bread. You don’t have bread like we have. Polish bread is very good, heavy and wet. We’ve got loads of bakers. They make dark bread with seeds, nuts, raisins, plums, Afric, my mouth is watering thinking of it! What we have also, since ’89, is white smoked cheeses with radish, or cucumber, or chives. Kind of cottage cheese, like Philadephia. And scrambled eggs. That would be our typical breakfast. And then around 3 to 5 o clock, we have dinner. Like soup, with chunks of vegetables. Then mashed potatoes, like Irish, a piece of meat, like pork, or chops or burgers, and vegetables. Then supper at 8 or 9. It would be something hot but light, like sausage with mustard and a piece of bread. Or cabbage, warm cabbage.

A typical dish would be sauerkraut with loads of meat, wine, dry mushrooms, sausages, onions. Every family has own recipe, coming from generation to generation. The cabbages are kind of meaty. In the cabbage as well you’ve got pieces of fat. You fry it in the frying pan.

But here I discovered Irish cheeses, milk, cream - Afric, hello! For me it’s fantastic. In Poland there are loads of Es in the milk. They also mix it. A good few years ago they’d even put a minimum of washing powder in it. So the milk was really, really shit. Just to make more of it.

Did you grow up with religion?

My parents are horrible religious. They go three times a week to mass. And they think you can ask God for everything. They think if you pray hard, you gonna have it. I used to go to church. But now I’m working on Sundays. If I had Sundays off, definitely I would go.

Poland was communist till 1981, the cold war. Then in ‘89, solidarity won, and it was like breaking the mould. Before that, what I remember, we always had to struggle in every way. For example, we had to be the best, to win competitions. The level was abnormal. Education was a very high level, but it meant nothing, because after study, even if you were the best of the best, you still didn’t have a job.

We couldn’t get passports. Everybody was afraid.

We couldn’t go out after 7pm because police curfew everywhere. That’s what I remember. There was nothing in the shops. I was growing up with this though, so I think I was pretty happy kid. When there’s nothing to compare it to, you just take it like it is.

We had television, black and white, for a long time. No radio, no video. My parents aren’t modern. We didn’t have electrical things like Hoover, for very long time. It’s like two generations in Poland. Older generation, they’re so afraid of changes. They are so used to struggling all the time, they are comfortable with it. Because something new is something dangerous. They just don’t know.

But new people, young people, they’re mad. They’re completely opposite. They’re doing too much. They risk everything. Like right now, it’s very easy for us to just move. So many moved when we joined EU. And look at that. 3% of Irish population is Polish. About 120 000.

The biggest thing after communism was food! Sweets, ham, salami, everything. Food, food, Jesus, I could go to the shops and get chocolates, anything. Do you know that during communism, we had machines on wheels – you can see them in old movies – and they were selling fizzy-type drinks in dirty glasses in the streets, made to look like Fanta? It was disgraceful. And everybody drank it. There was a kind of virus because of that. Oh Jesus. So we could say we weren’t so different from other people.

We didn’t have channels on TV. Nobody told us how it is abroad. So we just lived as a very closed country. Obviously it was dangerous for government to let us see how it is abroad. We not stupid, and you know it’s dangerous when someone goes out and discovers a new world and comes back and says, ‘this is a piece of shit.’ You know what I mean.

I left country because I wasn’t patient enough to give myself time to find a proper job. And when you’re 26, it’s a pity to be taking money from your parents still. And to find a job in Poland is only possible if you know someone who is rich or in a high position. My sister is 36 now. Her daughter is 15. Now she has a proper job. But imagine that, she has had to wait so many years to get that job. It’s absolutely ridiculous.

So we are not confident at all, we Polish people.

But one big thing to help our confidence as a country was our pope. 98% of the population is Catholic. And look at that – we had a pope. For us that was huge. It doesn’t matter what he did – I’ve heard here that he was very conservative – but for us he was Polish, and he was abroad, and he showed Polish mentality in front of whole Europe. For us he was like a huge kick.

I think Pope and Lech Walesa were heroes. Walesa invented politicial group, solidarity, and he broke communism. Funnily, he wasn’t a very educated person, but he had charisma, so he was very popular. He was president. But he couldn’t speak other languages, and not even good Polish, so people started to be ashamed of him. How would the outside world perceive him? But certainly in the beginning, he was a hero.

We have huge complex in our blood. Even here, if we speak English perfectly, we always feel in worse position than other foreigners. Everything is a problem for us. We’re just worriers. We have to think right and left. So if it’s not good, it’s not going good, we have to find new idea. Polish people are very creative, but have not had the outlet.

I came here with a very big foreigner complex. I had no English. Even after two years, when people get to know me, and they know how I’m working, if I feel that sympathy from them, there’s something in the back of my head saying, ‘there has to be something in that sympathy.’ You know.

But for example, there is one thing that is common with Polish and Irish people. I spent a whole year at Greyhound, (a local Kinsale pub) because that was my object. To hang out with Irish people. And other things, language, obviously. And after a year, they start to treat me like a friend. I’m not dangerous. I’m not only a summery person. But this is what I find. The Irish are not very open people. They’re open in the beginning, like, ‘hello! How are you? Oh lovely to see you,’ blah blah blah. But then it’s like huge wall or something that. To break it takes time. I think Polish people are the same. If someone comes to the house, it’s our tradition that you’ve got to give them meals, invite them to sleep over, everything, but you’re not going to know us. That’s it.

What made you choose Ireland?

During my sister’s study she had an exchange in Galway. She studied there for a year. She told me about the people and the beautiful views and these kinds of things. And Afric, as I said before, I was fed up with not having money.

But after that experience, probably I would never go to a country without a language again. Because it was a fucking tough time. When you try really hard to understand, and you just cannot. And you try, week after week, after week. I had headaches every day. I was wrecked.

I escaped at work. People gave me a chance, thank God. Sometimes, someone tells me, ‘you’re very brave, Bogna, coming to the country without the language, and you’re doing very well.’ But it wasn’t braveness, it was something opposite. For me, it’s very brave to stay in Poland. Here, you’re washing dishes, but still, on pay day, you can buy yourself perfume, and you can go to the pub and get pissed completely. You can go for pizza or dinner somewhere out. And you have money for rent, everything. So the standard of life is higher, even if you’re doing shit jobs. Whereas in Poland you’re starving. That’s a pity, you see. That’s why I left the country.

I’ve bought a piano, so I’m coming back to music. In a different language! So I feel very good about that. I’ve advertised and already I’ve got a good few students. I phoned my parents to tell them. It’s only because of them. My parents planted something and I’ve got the fruits right now. I live here, and they are absolutely proud of me. For them it’s not possible to learn a language at this stage of their life, so they see what I’ve done as a big deal.

When I first arrived, I made my home in Diva, a small café, regular clientele. Afric, Kinsale is amazing. It’s small enough. I’m not nobody. People say, ‘hello Bogna’ to me in the street. I love that. I’ve fallen in love with it here. I want to stay here. I feel safe.

This is the beginning of my 3rd year here now.

Do you miss Poland?

Not at all. But in the beginning, I missed the climate, the seasons. In Poland we’ve got four beautiful seasons. Spring, we’ve got that green like Irish green. Everything is growing, it’s all so fruity. It’s about 18 to 25 degrees. Then in summer it’s very hot, 35 degrees, then autumn. Afric, it’s unbelievable. We’ve got colours like yellow, orange, all palettes of brown, the leaves are falling down, and if the sunlight is on them….so many writers have written about it, it’s really spectacular. And in winter it’s really cold, below zero, we’ve got snow and everything.

Also, we have beautiful places. In the north, we’ve got sea. In the middle of the country we’ve got lakes and national parks. And we’ve got cities with very old architecture, cathedrals.

Some of the cities are more modern and they look like a piece of shit. Our capital, Warsaw, looks horrible. But Krakow, which used to be capital city, is a city with beautiful architecture, tradition, scenery, universities. That city is like a bit of your heart. My city, Wrocl`aw, is the same. Plus we have the third most bridges in Europe. First Venice, then Amsterdam, then Wrocl`aw, Loads of bridges.

For first year, I missed it, because I was alone here, and lonely, very, very lonely. But then I thought, maybe that’s part of my life, loneliness. What I miss definitely, is real, real friends. At this moment, there’s a group of Polish people here. If I look at them, sometimes, that’s what I miss, really.

Are Polish people health conscious? Do they take care of themselves?

In Poland you know, when women are going out, they are perfectly done. They make up, dress up, even for shopping. High heels, especially in the city. You only see beautiful people. Fat people, they staying at home, Nobody likes them. You cannot see fat ones. Then, when I came here, I saw loads of fat people, loads! And how they dressed! Pink trainers! It was unbelievable. Trousers too long, so wrecked at the hem, belly outside, very small top, and they are happy. That kind of pinkish skin, and one doughnut, another doughnut! In Poland, it’s not possible! In Poland this is not existing. This is what is beautiful about Ireland.

As you see, I have big boobs. So here, for first time in my life, I bought so many bras for myself. In Poland, they only have bras for average size. Otherwise you have to have very cheap bras, which look like two circus tents! It was horrible. Not sexy at all, when you’re a teenager and your sexuality is just springing. How can you look like a piece of shit? You just cannot. So I think it’s wonderful here. Non-beautiful women are doing what they want, so they become beautiful. And guys, they don’t have a problem with fat women, or very skinny women, or with red hair, or with piercings. You know what I mean.

Do you think you’ll stay in Ireland?

I want to be here until I can really express myself in English. Ireland has given me confidence, really. And I know that I’ll be OK, wherever I go. I really feel that. I’ve always wanted to travel, so my next step is to discover another place. I don’t want to go back to Poland. But probably I’ll settle down somewhere where my heart will be. If I meet someone.

What’s your impression of Irish men?

Kinsale is a builder town, or a fisherman town, or a barman town. When I came here I thought the men were not handsome at all. Because I come from a country where guys are looking after themselves. It’s a kind of pressure there, especially in cities. But here, nobody cares. Now I like it very much.

But I think Polish guys treat women better, with respect. They treat us like a flower. You not going to bed after first date.

I understand one night stands. But I don’t like the way the Irish guys treat women in the morning, like nothing happened. And it happened only with Irish, because I had experience with foreigners from different countries, and they not like that. They behave normally, like human beings in the morning.

In Poland I had a few long relationships. But here I had only, like, adventures, or flings. I don’t know why. Do you know what I found in guys here? They’re very, very afraid of women.

It would be nice to meet someone with a sense of humour. Easy-going, money wise. A person who is not very tight. That is barrier for me, when someone is tight. Because I am from country where everyone has to be tight. But Afric, I cannot be fussy, I don’t have nobody!

What were your expectations of Ireland before you came, and how have you found it?


I thought that if Ireland is kind of rich country. You’ve got your wage and you can live your life. But people kind of use foreigners in a way. I don’t want to generalise. But I’ve heard from others the same thing. Unfair treatment. I heard them say, ‘give all the shitty jobs to Bogna. She’ll do it’.

When I first got here, I was illegal, but it was really easy to get work. Nobody asked me anything. And I was working in public places. And there were Gardaí often. And they knew my face, but never said a word.

What do you think about Poland joining the EU?

I think joining the EU will be very good for Poland. Here though, there are too many Polish for me, as a Polish. I came here to soak up other things and obviously I hang around Poles as well, which is very nice, because we understand each other, between lines. I think we are good people, Polish. We‘ve got good hearts. But I think Poland will be very afraid of foreigners. We’re not going to be open for foreigners.

Did you think Ireland was open, when you came here?

Yes. Big time.

What’s the best thing about Ireland for you?

For me, nature. Water. I discovered the sea here. I now know that I have to live by the sea. I’m more healthy here. I love that smell. Even at low tide. You know that briny stink! It doesn’t bother me at all, Afric. I like it really.

Mostly, I love the open space of it. You can get the possibilities in your mind. that fresh sea air when the wind is coming to you. I have misty glasses the whole time. I think that’s the most beautiful thing in Ireland. And the green is green.

***
A large country in central Europe, Poland is flanked by the following border countries: Belarus, Czech Republic, Germany, Lithuania, Russia, Slovakia, and Ukraine, with a coastline of 491kms along the Baltic Sea.

Formerly partitioned amongst themselves by Russia, Prussia, and Austria, Poland regained its independence in 1918, only to be overrun by Germany and the Soviet Union in World War II. When allegiances later changed and the Nazis attacked the USSR in June 1941, Germany took control of the whole of Poland, with the intention of eradicating Polish culture through mass executions and to exterminate the country's large Jewish minority. Wislawa Szymborska, born in Western Poland in 1923, survived the occupied state, even managing to study illegally during the war. She later published nine volumes of poetry and won the 1996 Nobel Prize for Poetry.

After the war, Poland’s borders were shifted westward.

Labour turmoil in 1980 led to the formation of the independent trade union, Solidarity, founded by an electrician, Lech Walesa. Over time Solidarity became a political force and in 1989 won a stunning victory in the parliamentary elections. Lech Walesa also won the presidency with 74% of the vote.

Economic difficulties did not improve however, leading to widespread discontent. In 1995, Aleksander Kwasniewski, leader of the Democratic Left, won the presidency in a landslide victory over Walesa.

Economic liberalization throughout the 1990s paid off, and Poland today stands out as a success story among transition economies. Even so, much remains to be done, especially in bringing down unemployment

In 1999, Poland became part of NATO, along with the Czech Republic and Hungary, and in September 2003, became the leader of a 9,000-strong multinational stabilizing force in Iraq. It contributed 2,000 of its own soldiers. In April 2005, Poland announced it would withdraw all troops from Iraq at the end of the year.

On the 1st May 2004, Poland joined the EU, and has already seen a burgeoning of its economy through exports to the member states. Poland stands to benefit from nearly $13.5 billion in EU funds, available until the end of 2006. Farmers have already begun to reap the rewards of membership via higher food prices and EU agricultural subsidies.

Predominantly a Catholic nation, the average family is nevertheless small, with 2005 statistics putting the birth rate at 1.39 children per woman.

According to the 2005 National Census, 5% of the Irish population is non-national, with Polish immigrants making up the majority from any one state.



Sources: Daily Almanac (website)
CIA Factbook (website)



No comments: